Sunday, April 15, 2007

Visit to West Stow



Over the Easter break we visited West Stow, near Midenhall in Suffolk. It is about half an hours drive from our house. There was an Anglo-Saxon settlement there which has been excavated over the last thirty or so years. The houses that you can see are experimental reconstructions using what evidence the archaeologists can glean from their findings, combined with trial and error.
The building resembling a thatched tent was one of the first and least successful, the latter ones improving tangentially. The original houses seem to have been built over pits with posts set into them. A floor, walls, roof etc were then added, using them as supports.

On high days and holidays there are people occupying the place in authentic costume, demonstrating how life may have looked then. As we were there on a week day, the only residents were these two pigs (who occupy this very luxurious sty).
Posted by Picasa

Comments:
I wonder what the pits were for? I am so interested in history like this - not who conquered what country but how people lived in days gone by. amazing!
We had a place like that near here where I live, called Old Sydney Town - they had re-enactments of historical events and houses with people 'living' in them.. sadly it went broke due to lack of interest.
 
Happy belated Easter. What a neat place. This would be pre-Arthurian, or near 1066 when William came over? Makes me think and pull out my history book. Thanks, Jeremy.
 
Thanks Jeremy - definitely somewhere to visit - I love places like this, you can really get a feel for how things used to be.

Have you ever been to Castell Henlys in Pembrokeshire? That's pretty good - a iron-age settlement, I think...
 
Robyn, I think that the pits kept the damp ground and creepy crawlies away. Sorry to hear about Old Sydney Town's demise.

B. I doubt that there was ever a King Arthur, but the tourist board like to say he did. The date of this settlement was roughly 420-650AD.

Hello Clare.You should visit if you can get to sunny Suffolk. I haven't been to Castell Henlys. Iron age trumps Anglo-Saxon. I have been to Picton Castle in Pembrokeshire, the sit of a great Graham Sutherland collection. A lot of that landscape probably looked very similar to his paintings in ancient times.
 
Hi Jeremy. I drop in again and what do I find? You've gone from castles to pigstys. I love it. And those pigs look like very contented little pigs.
 
Great pics! Thx for the mini-holiday.

Smooch,
The Tart
; *
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?