Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Day Out


Yesterday I went to London. It's not that far, really, but I am reluctant to go there without a good reason. This time I was helping to accompany a coach full of teenage art students. First port of call (an hour late due to the gridlocked traffic) was the National Gallery (above). It's holding a major exhibition of Velazquez paintings. I would have loved to have seen them, but we only had an hour or so there and I would rather return when I have time to take some of it in.
I did get to see one of the most breathtaking paintings in the world, though - to me, at least. Rembrandt's A Woman Bathing in a Stream is not a highly finished piece of work. It is not very large and it doesn't involve cleverly worked out compositions. It is, however, the most moving and beautiful painting that I have ever seen.


Later we moved on to the Tate Modern. This is a particularly ugly old power station which has been converted into a major art gallery. Those silver tubes are slides which you can pay to descend, all in the name of art. The ultimate dumbing down of culture has arrived.


Of course, no major art gallery would be complete without several coffee slurperies. this one does have a great view of St. Paul's Cathedral. The photo below was taken from the balcony.

 Posted by Picasa

Comments:
Great photos Jeremy. Yes, I agree the Tate Modern is a souless place. It is hard to pin down quite why. I think that for the most part the ceilings are too low. Of course there is that big space with the tubes, but most of it reminds me of a cheaply built new university building. I love modern art (well some modern art) but hate the gimmicks - such as those tubes.
 
You must have had a great day. We always make those plans to return, and then life gets in the way, and we put the trips off as frivolous, and feel we can't justify the time, etc. Just go, and take the girls-a great excuse, but go. You'll be surprised what will come out of their little mouths. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?