Sunday, August 06, 2006

Ants

You tend to forget about these little sweeties. There they are under the ground, plotting their moment of glory. You are completely oblivious of their plans until they decide, on a muggy day like this, that the time is right to fly. Last year they were unfortunate enough to meet a party of migrant hawker dragon flies, who devoured most of them. This year they didn't have that problem, though I expect they have kept a few hopeful queens in reserve.

We spend our lives fretting about the things that concern us. All the while nature carries on regardless. I know which species I would put my money on in the survival stakes. Posted by Picasa

Comments:
Ugh, I hate flying ants...we get them 2 or 3 times during the summer and I refuse to go out on that day! lol About 2 weeks ago they were out and the birds were going crazy in the sky, eating them!!
 
We have ants, and ants, and ants, ad inf. I just finished dropping dry bait, then spraying, then doing the death by finger thing. I am grateful they exist, but I do wish they would exist somewhere other than my house. Be glad they're outside, Jeremy.
 
No doubt about it. I would bet on the ants for survival.
 
I remember last year having to leave a pub in Cornwall, we were sitting in the garden and suddenly from behind a niche in the stone wall hundreds of ants emerged flying.

The answer I am afraid to my Sunday Scribblings story is Maiow!
 
ants! we have them invading our home right now. I woke this morning having even dreamed of them.
We spend our lives fretting about the things that concern us - hmm yes. Humans are a selfish lot, we fret & worry about things we can't change and like you say, nature carries on regardless. Not saying I would like to be an ant, though.
thanks for your comment on my blog - if it were me going to Egypt - I would be off like a shot but as a mother - I worry about my baby - guess that is just 'human nature'
 
sorry to have upset so many people with this picture! I'll find something prettier to post!
 
I live in the city and I miss the country side, bugs and all. I know... I'm romanticizing. I'm sure a city person would say they even missed the cockroaches! Hey, and that's what I put my money on for a survivor. Jeremy, thanks for dropping by, I have some catching up to do!
 
Really like this photo. Their wings are magnificent, they remind me of little leaded window panes.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?