Sunday, June 11, 2006

What will bee will bee


Our neighbour came round on Friday to say 'You've got bees', she said. She was right. A swarm of honey bees had chosen one of our chimney pots to call home. Twenty to thirty thousand of them, apparently. I called the local council. 'We don't do bees' I was told, but I was given the number of a local bee keeper. He came straight round, keen to capture them to put into one of his hives. Unfortunately, the chimney in question is not really accessible, but luckily he had a plan. He produced a 'nucleus hive'. This is just a mini bee hive with a few sheets of honeycombed beeswax in it. Into this he put sugared water to attract the bees, the idea being to offer them a more attractive home than our chimney.

Well, the bees took the bait. They kept coming down, finding their way into the hive via the door at the bottom. One can be seen going in on the photo. The bee keeper left the hive on our kitchen roof all day, his plan apparently working.

Just before dark, the bee keeper returned to take the hive away. We dressed, with due solemnity, in bee keeping smocks with integral face protection. I held the ladder while he ascended to retrieve the hive. Once it was down, we carried it carefully to his car. It was then that he became concerned that the hive was unusually quiet. He took a peek inside. Two drowsy bees looked out of an otherwise empty hive. The rotters had robbed the hive of the sugar and fled.

Well at least they had gone. They were no longer crawling over the chimney pot -Until the next day, when they returned and set up camp in the next chimney pot. I ended up trying to remove them by lighting a fire (on the hottest day of the year). This wouldn't harm them, but it should have given them the urge to leave. They took no notice at all.

So they are still up there, though they are keeping a lower profile today.

C'est la bee. Posted by Picasa

Comments:
What a fantastic story! I love it. They are so smart. Now I understand the reason behind the sugar water - when it works. We have maaaaany hives where I live, all over the Central Valley as well, and they are a big business, because they pollinate all the fruit trees and nut trees, and everything else in the area. That's how CA makes it big bucks. So, thank you. This means that not all the bees are in my back yard. Some are flying about in your part of the world!
 
Unbelievable J. I had no idea bees were so smart. They don't just operate on instinct do they? They find their opportunity, swipe the goodies and then move on (a little bit only in this case)How many chimney pots are on your roof? Will the beekeeper return and try to beat the bees at their game? Looking forward to additional reports.
 
In one house we rented there was a gorgeous old inglenook fire, which we think a few bees decided to make a home in. We couldn't see a nest, hear a nest or even smell a nest (do nests have smells? I know wasps nests do) - but time and again we kept seeing bees in the living room for no reason. No amount of burning green wood made a difference, so we gave up (and left it for the next inhabitants to deal with!). C'est la bee indeed!
 
That's a little scary. Bees can be devious. I had a bee problem once in Santa Fe - to the point where I couldn't open the back door of my little adobe house, without hundreds of bees swarming. Had to call a professional who somehow coaxed them out and got rid of them (I couldn't watch to see details). Good luck with yours!
 
I found your blog through Natasha @ vintage pretty. Just had a quick look at all your gorgeous photos. divine! the country sid looks beautiful. I love having bees in my garden. hmm swarming in my chimney - no, I wouldn't like that at all!
 
Jeremy, how do these chimneys connect to their respective heat sources? I have looked at the top photo many times and am impressed with the roofing design and the pots, and wonder how old this building is, how is it heated in the seasons, and is that adequate? I'm amazed at how many thoughts have flitted through my brain just from this photo. Did you ever see Mary Poppins? I'm impressed with the difference in our daily surroundings, and yet the similarity of our lives. Here I go, thinking again! But you make it so easy.
 
Hi, thanks for stopping by :) That is very scary! I loved all your pictures...gorgeous!

Coffee or tea is always on :)

Would like to see your work!
 
smart little cookies. I had to call the council for squirrels once, though that were eating there way through my beams in the attic. Just as annoying!
Nice to find your site. Thanks for stopping by :)
 
How are the bees doing now? I keep tuning in for an update. Strange how I don't mind one bee or one much of anything - but bess on mass like this, or that tub of maggots that fishermen use really make my squirm. I suppose I feel outnumbered.

Wasp nests are also very interesting. We've had a few of those in the rafters - incredible how such a complex and beautiful structure can be made from wasp spit.
 
Finally had time to catch up with your blog. You mentioned the bee visitation in your note on my blog, but its not until one see the photos do you really appreciate the situation. Interesting attempt at distracting the bees into the other temporary hive. Sorry to hear it did not work out. I also attempted to identify the bird in my photo. Until you asked I had not given it a second thought. I found it more difficult that I thought it would be...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?