Friday, June 16, 2006




I've seen so many good garden pictures on blogs lately that I thought I'd add to the celebration of summer.

I found the bug outside the other day. I've since found that he is a woundwort shieldbug, eysarcoris fabricii, one of the true bugs. They like stachys palustris (woundwort) and white dead nettle, both of which grow all over our garden. Proof that my no-gardening methods are working. All that inactivity is paying dividends. He is about 8mm long. More here. Since then we have found quite a few.

The spiky-looking plant is Caper spurge, euphorbia lathyris. Poisonous, supposedly repellant to moles, architecturally bizarre. I like them.

The delphiniums are really the neighbours, but we share a low fence so they decorate our garden too.

Lastly, the best plants out there as far as I am concerned. The globe artichokes have come on well. We don't get that many but they are a welcome summer delicacy.

Comments:
Another interesting bug that I forced myself to look at, Jeremy. Many shudders. brrrrrr. The artichokes look great though and just about ready to enjoy.
 
is that bug the same as a stink bug? I have never had a globe artichoke, love the plants though!
 
At least yours are on the outside. Last year I collected some plants, when dry smell really wonderful, but are considered a real pest up here. I left them sitting in a plastic bag on a counter in our kitchen, and forgot about them. Several months later we were suddenly innundated by these long, brown bugs. They were everywhere - the living room, the bathrooms, the bedroom, crawling over everything. I found them between our sheets! We kept disposing of them, and then just as suddenly as they had appeared, they were gone! I'm drying this year's plants somewhere else. I do love the color of yours though, much better. Have you ever thought of that color for your ceramics? Should be gorgeous.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?